
They MOCK me. I have to date pulled a minimum of 300 thistles. That's a three with two zeros. And there are more.
What's worse, they are coming back in the areas I already cleared. And notice in the picture that they are the only green in the yard (save the dandelions, which I refuse to even start pulling). We are in a drought, but that doesn't seem to bother the thistles.
So I am still pulling. I have noticed that there are at least 3 different types of thistles, too:



The one seems to have more jagged leaves and more pronounced spikes, if you will, while the other has smoother leaves and finer spikes.
I don't have a picture of the third, because fortunately there were only a couple of them and I didn't think to take a picture. They are thicker and seem to have a fuzz of spikes over them.
I know, I have been spending all together too much time study these things, haven't I.
What about KNITTING? Do you even do that anymore?
Yeah, yeah, I knit. But I am heavily into gift knits right now, and thus I have little to show. Gift number 1 is blocking as I type (hence the time to blog). Gift number 2 will be cast on soon. Gift number 3 is already on the needles, but I didn't like how it was going. We'll see if that one gets done or frogged.
But I will soon have photos of a completed Anouk, I hope. I have to get buttons and do the pockets. I am hesitating on the pockets in part because I don't know which way to do them, intarsia or duplicate stitch. I have never done either. I am also not sure if I want to do a contrasting color or the main color. Ah the dilemmas!

2 comments:
Thank you for the thistle education. I never knew there was more than one type - heck, I didn't know that they were even called thistles!
However, you should stop pulling. Winter will soon be here and they will all be dead.
Knit instead. It's more theraputic. :)
If only I believed the winter would kill them! The drought didn't. They have come back with reinforcements since I pulled them. And they are worse this year than last. Guess I'll keep pulling. :(
Knitting is what I do to get over the frustration of the seemingly endless job of pulling thistles. :)
Post a Comment