Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Can you discern the pattern?

When I was young, I had a great aunt who did all things domestic. She was a Norwegian farm wife who did beautiful knitting, sewing, and crocheting, among other things. She made little gifts for us sometimes. Among them, this adorable Christmas stocking ornament:


She has been gone for a number of years, taken by ALS.

I would love to duplicate this stocking for Kiddo and Kutey. I have tried to figure out the pattern, but as yet have had little success. So, if you knit, have a knack for figuring out patterns, and have nothing better to do, I'd love your advice/input.

Here are a few more vantage points to aid you in your endeavors:


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK. I'm no pattern or design guru, but here is what I see. Could the foot have been knit in the round (toe up), and then the leg been knit straight and then seamed? The reason I say this is because it looks like there is a seam in the back of the leg but then no seam at the foot.

Sorry I'm not much help. :)

schmobes said...

Unfortunately the pictures aren't as helpful as they could be.there is a seam on the bottom of the foot, so it was knit "flat" and then seamed....

Anonymous said...

There's no seam up the top, correct? I can see how it was done in my head, I'm just having a problem getting it on paper to work. Let me play with it for a while.

schmobes said...

There is a seam across the bottom and up the back. The top is open, and in the picture the toe is stuffed. Thank you for even giving it a try!

kemtee said...

I seem to remember something similar in a Candi Jensen pattern book. If I'm right, she knit it flat, using short rows to work the foot.

moosie said...

It looks very similar to the very popular "UGG" baby booties , free pattern from DIY network website, just using different yarn, it's knit flat and then seamed under the foot and up the back, it may be the same as what "kemtee" said

schmobes said...

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be taking a looksie!