I decided, however, that I wanted to compost our food scraps, too. I looked at the various "compost bins" you can buy, but I could not justify spending $80 and up on something I might not use for more than a few months (we'll see how it goes). So I decided to create my own.
Take one perfectly good garbage can:

Drill a bazillion holes in it:

Yes, hubby let ME use the power tools....I am not sure what he was thinking. I was well supervised, however, and did not damage anything or anyone unless you count the perfectly good garbage can which is now full of holes.
Add kitchen scraps:

and wait. Well, not exactly, we also added some leaves and such to balance it out. You have to have both green waste and brown waste. It is an education to start one of these things, to say the least.
On the up side, it no longer STINKS! Which means, I guess, that it is working better than it was. YAY!

No comments:
Post a Comment