Sunday, July 8, 2007

Operation Thistle Eradication

Let me state for the record: I am no expert when it comes to lawn care. And my lawn is living proof of that.

Hubby and I have a dislike of all things lawn chemical. It makes it a bit tricky to keep one's lawn looking lush and green, but we have learned to live with it. Our dandelion crop is the *envy* of all our neighbors! But with two small children and a dog romping through the space, we simply cannot justify applying harsh chemicals to the space.

But, oh, how the thistles do grow! And they take over small tracts of land. And they mock me. I do not like thistles. They are prickly and painful and I just really can't stand them. And so is launched Operation Thistle Eradication.

Josh, over at Bungalow 23, was RAVING about the Weed Hound.

Perhaps you've seen this contraption at your local hardware store or garden center. It is rather funny looking, but once you get the hang of it, OH BOY! It whips the thistles right out of the ground.

With the purchase of new lawn and garden gadgets come the obligation to prove to hubby that I will, in fact, USE it. Thus, for the last few weeks, I have been pulling thistles in my "spare time." Mostly I have been grabbing the Weed Hound and taking it with me to the back yard when Kiddo and Kutey want to play.

"And have you eradicated the thistles?"


Well, no. But I am making progress. I have pulled over 100 of them, either by hand (well gloved) or using the fabulous Weed Hound. Yet every excursion to the yard results in some reminder that they lurk there. And I still have work to do. They no longer outnumber the bushes in the front landscaping, however. I consider that a step in the right direction.

1 comment:

kemtee said...

You've got thistles. I've got crabgrass and these … things … that look like small palm trees and grow faster than magic rocks. Ironically, both of these are proliferating despite the fact that we're down eight inches of rain for the summer (it hasn't rained but twice in two months).

Weed hound. Hmmm. Gotta get me one. Though if I pull up all the weeds, I won't have ANYTHING green over there.